Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Through the Lens: Bungoma Town/The Clinic Update

Opening ceremony and songs at Epico Jahns; every Monday and Friday mornings.
Me and Melchzedek--the number one math student in the 4th grade math class I taught! I gave him pencils, pens, an apple, and a pencil sharpener.
This is the 4th grade math class I taught while here in Kabula/Bungoma, Kenya.
Basically, I just liked this photo...I told them to jump or look happy, and they loved the results so we took so many shots...
Me and some of the Epico students.
This is the consultation room in the VCT part of the clinic. Notice the curtains, walls, floor...we re-did them all and this is the result!
Me standing in the clinic entry with the new curtains...
Here I am in front of the main hut. Mostly this is just a 'for memories' picture.
Here's the hut I lived in, with me in front of it! I lived in there for two months minus a few weekends and the trip to Zanzibar.
These are the kids that were jumping...This is the well that we filter water from to drink; also the water we bathe with.
The street in Bungoma Town! Note the boda-boda on the left.
Boda-boda drivers waiting in front of Shariff's plaza--where I'll take the Easy Coach bus to Nairobi tomorrow. The bus company's slogan is "Experience Dignity".
Boda-bodas, and a woman riding side-saddle.

The other VCT consultation room!
This is Joyce! I'll miss her.
Matatu stand in Bungoma town.
Selling oranges!
Another selling of oranges!
Me; and the grocery store Khetia's.
The newly painted ceiling. I painted two rooms of ceilings.
Lilian, the cook; and me!
Me on the matatu, fields going by.
And here I am with Elizabeth, who will be the manager of the VCT. Back and to the left you can see the storage room with new door and shelves.


Other news: The ICODEI dog, Luii, died--it was terrible and there was nothing we could do. Also, I spent the night at Joyce's last Saturday and attended a Catholic church on Sunday. It was under construction and huge, and we went at sunrise--beyond beautiful, especially with the incredible singing. The whole congregation is one big, talented choir singing in who-knows-how-many part harmonies. Lastly, there have been noises and music at night. Western Kenya has a lot of ceremony around circumcision when a boy reaches a certain age (14-ish?), so they're having all of those parties now.

Tomorrow I head out!
Time for last-goodbyes on the farm.

No comments: